Saturday, February 03, 2007

New sword!!!


Last week I commissioned a new sword from Albion Swords and Christian Fletcher. I have decided on a Albion generation 2 'Ritter', which was inspired by a sword I saw ten years ago in the Museum für Deutsche Geschichte, Berlin. It has a narrow fuller making it close to an Oakeshott type XI, but it is a sword that does not fall precisely into any category. The cocked-hat pommel matches one of my Del Tin models from a decade ago, creating something of a matching set. For cord-wrapped, leather-covered the grip I have chosen a dark oxblood dye. I have also asked Christian to mount a different style grip, which a buldge in the middle as is standard on the Albion 'Knight'.


Christian will make the scabbard and sword belt, which will be as show below but with a black scabbard and white sword belt, in the style of the Manesse Codex show below or at the top of this web site. The design of the integral-belt, which is light years ahead - or perhaps that should be behind! - anything available ten years ago when I was collecting - will be like the 'Ritter' set shown below, but the front strap will flare out by approximately 1/2".


The sword won't be ready for a good 5 months, and I will not be able to collect it until I come home to the states. Until then, it will remain a flashy desktop background at work.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home