Saturday, January 20, 2007

Free Book of Kells Font

Book of Kells Wedding Invitation

I've spend the last few weeks using FontCreator 5.5 to save the image files used to make our wedding invitations (above) into TrueType format. The characters were taken directly from the Book of Kells, where possible. Despite numerous hours of editing, the spacing is still not perfect. Due to the nature of Insular Majuscule, I have concluded that its spacing cannot be perfectly replicated in a digital font format.

Variants for some letters such as e, t and s have been set to the -, =, [, ], and \ keys, both with shift on and off. You will just have to experiment as to which one is which. Arabic numbers and punctuation have been taken from the freeware Libra font as these are absent in the original manuscript.

I have seen similar fonts available for purchase online at $20 and up. No other freeware font replicats the Book of Kells this well, so I decided to make my own!

I am happy to offer this free Book of Kells font as freeware, so long as you link to this site when posting it online. Enjoy!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home