Friday, August 12, 2005

-our vs. –or.

The staff here at Gesta would like to thank Lt. Swaney POTUS ’36 for his recent comments. We wish him the best of luck in the nomination process, and agree to make him our running mate should he agree to do likewise. Let us clarify our spelling standards: Our software has been switched to standard UK spelling for the purpose of job applications and formal correspondence and thus the only way to eliminate the annoying red squiggly lines is, alas, to conform to Her Majesty’s English. In some cases this actually assists our poor spelling skills, as ‘judgement’ seems more natural than ‘judgment‘. Additionally, as you can tell from the Latinate Blog title (which translates “The Deeds of Ryan of Renfrew”), we are a bit old fashioned and something just appeals about the auld spellings, e.g. the theatre centre.

The same applies to –our vs. –or. Americans are a very practical bunch, and we understand and respect why we would settle on a more efficient way of writing. However, we feel that it is precisely the superfluous nature of the added ‘u’ that makes for its appeal. That ‘u’ elevates language beyond mere practical necessity to the highest aspirations of human art and expression. I feel I am well justified in so doing, given it was only in the nineteenth century that spelling was standardized. Turn your eyes, my dear friend, to the Founding Fathers; may their free use of both spellings guide our pens!

The United States Constitution

“…punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour…” - Article. I.
“No Person held to Service or Labour in one State…” - Article. IV, Section. 2, Clause 3.
“Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor…” - Article. I, Section. 3, Clause 7.

Declaration of Independence

“He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States…For abolishing the free System of English Laws in a neighbouring Province…and our sacred Honor.”

Founding Fathers

"…As I have the Honour of enclosing the Resolves on this Subject, I beg Leave to refer your Attention to them.(1)” - John Hancock to George Washington, April 9th. 1777

"I had the Honour to serve with him upon the naval Committee… An Honour, that I make it a Rule to boast of…a Man of Honour and Integrity
…” - John Adams to Abigail Adams, July 11. 1777

“The plan of converting the blacks into Serfs would certainly be better than keeping them in their present condition, but I consider that of expatriation to the governments of the W.I. of their own colour as entirely practicable, and greatly preferable to the mixture of colour here, to this I have great aversion; but I repeat my abandonment of the subject. My health is at present as good as I ever expect it to be, and I am ever and affectionately yours, ... TH. Jefferson.” Thomas Jefferson to William Short, January 18, 1826

“I have ventured to trouble you with the Commission of purchasing enough to make me a Suit of cloaths. As to the colour, I shall leave it altogether to your taste; only observing, that, if the dye should not appear to be well fixed, and clear, or if the cloth should not really be very fine, then (in my judgment) some colour mixed in grain might be preferable to an indifferent (stained) dye.” - George Washington, January 29, 1789.

post scriptum: Let not your heart be troubled. We will never end our alphabet with “zed”.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home